
Lakruwana Gourmet Restaurant – Sri Lankan Cuisine Since 1990 © Frank H. Jump
vintage mural ads & other signage by Frank H. Jump & friends
Broadway & W237th Street © Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
Fudge-filled cookies and crunchy breadsticks. Stella D’oro, Italian for star of gold, instantly conjures images of baked goods in the minds of people throughout the country. For the Kingsbridge factory’s nearby neighbors, its distinctive scripted logo can also trigger memories of batting for the Stella D’oro Little League team, eating in the Stella D’oro restaurant or coming home from school and being carried away by the aroma of the cookies being made.
The company that began in 1930 is likely to end its nearly 80 year run in Kingsbridge when the factory is shut down in October. To its neighbors and the family that can claim the famous fragrance as its legacy, the decades have been about more than just cookies.
Joseph Kresevich, an Italian immigrant, and his wife, Angela Kresevich, opened up their first factory on Bailey Avenue around 1930 (there’s actually no family consensus on the company’s official beginning, though its trucks have that year emblazoned across them).
The Kresevichs moved the plant to its current location on West 237th Street and Broadway around 1950 and also opened up a red-checkered-tablecloth restaurant on the site within the decade. – Riverdale Press
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
The Best Cappuccino in Town! © Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
© Frank H. Jump
For the best cup of coffee, some great wines and really fun food, check out this great temporary market while it lasts – before someone drops a high-rise on it. Really neat jewelry and clothes too!
© Frank H. Jump
Previously a coffee house for workers where only beer was served in a time when the Teetotalers Movement was having influence in Amsterdam, this establishment is now a restaurant on the quiet and beautiful Kadijkplein, overlooking the National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum).
These coffeehouses were built by employers to keep the working class from drinking too much alcohol. Coupons were handed out to get free coffee when there wasn’t enough work to go around. The only alcohol being served in a Coffeehouse was beer. Many of these Coffeehouses were demolished, but this one at Kadijksplein 4 got squatted in 1986 and saved from destruction. It’s been serving as a restaurant ever since. This is the old entrance. Arne Kuilman – Flickrstream
BUY MY BOOK
PRICE FOR ONE BOOK AND SHIPPING
& HANDLING FOR THE USA ONLY.
M | T | W | T | F | S | S |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | |
7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |
14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 |
28 | 29 | 30 |
© 2025 Fading Ad Blog | Powered by WordPress
A WordPress theme by Ravi Varma
Notifications